Thursday, August 1, 2013

Review: The Mistress - Tiffany Reisz

Title: The Mistress
Author: Tiffany Reisz
Genre: Erotic Romance
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Length: 464 pages
Release Date: July 30, 2013

Blurb: There's punishment—and then there's vengeance.

Nora Sutherlin is in handcuffs, held captive by two men. . Under different circumstances, she would enjoy the situation immensely, but her captors aren't interested in play. Or pity.

As the reality of her impending peril unfolds, Nora becomes Scheherazade, buying each hour of her life with stories—sensual tales of Søren, Kingsley and Wesley, each of whom has tempted and tested and tortured her in his own way. This, Nora realizes, is her life: nothing so simple, so vanilla, as a mere love triangle for her. It's a knot in a silken cord, a tangled mass of longings of the body and the heart and the mind. And it may unravel at any moment.

But in Nora's world, no one is ever truly powerless—a cadre of her friends, protectors and lovers stands ready to do anything to save her, even when the only certainty seems to be sacrifice and heartbreak….

Review: Tiffany Reisz is a master of the craft.  I do have to admit, I was a little late getting into this series.  I didn't pick up the first book, The Siren, until January of this year.  And, once I picked it up, I wondered why I had waited so long.  I think what sets Ms. Reisz's books apart, besides some serious talent, are her characters.  You don't see characters like this anywhere.  You don't see characters that love one person, but still feel free to sleep with whoever their hearts desire.  Or, well, if you do see them, that person is labeled a whore or an asshole and they're immediately shunned.  I do have to admit, when reading the prior books in this series, I wasn't sure I believed it.  We're all always taught that once we fall in love for one person, that's it.  That person is all you have, unless you someday decide to divorce, or, God forbid, your loved one dies.  If you decide to cheat, it's a betrayal of your marriage and good luck getting the other party to ever forgive you.  So when I was suddenly given these people who loved multiple people equally and slept around at their hearts content, while I found it entertaining, I'm not sure I really believed that these characters could be real.

With this book, I have to say that I'm a believer.  Love is complicated.  It certainly doesn't listen to reason.  If any of us are lucky enough to find love with two people, why would we choose one love and kill the other?  Why not cherish both?  While this book doesn't have a lot of the surprise twist and turns that made me love the prior books so much, the emotions this book gifts to the reader, the thought that seems to go into almost every word deserves to be applauded.  In the end, almost all of our loose ends were tied together.  Problems were solved, choices were made, change was on the horizon.  As much as I'd love to keep moving forward with these characters, I know we have to say goodbye someday.  And it's not goodbye, not really, not with a prequel series headed our way next year.  I can't wait to fall in love with these characters all over again.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment