Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: Not Until You - Roni Loren

Title: Not Until You (Serial Novel)
Author: Roni Loren
Genre: Erotic Romance
Publisher: InterMix
Length: 507 pages
Release Date: June 11, 2013 (first release)
                                  July 30, 2013 (last release)


Blurb: On the night of her graduation, innocent veterinary student Cela decides to play a game of Never Have I Ever with the two hot neighbors she's been quietly crushing on for the last year. Always the prim and proper student, Cela thinks she's earned a wild night before she has to move back home under the watchful gaze of her family. But what starts out as a simple game is about to take a very sensual turn...

Ian Foster is tired of playing games. With his membership to The Ranch, an exclusive BDSM resort, and a musician roommate named Pike who brings home groupies with a taste for ménage, Foster has a life most guys would kill for. But lately, his need for dominance is no longer satisfied via one-night stands. He craves the full surrender of one woman--a submissive of his own.

But when his quiet, sweet-as-sugar neighbor shows up at their door with a bottle of tequila and an invitation, Foster decides he and Pike may have time for one more fling...


Review:  The serial novel.  I have to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of them.  While it's super cool to get to have new material from one of your favorite authors every week, in the end I'm never sure if the content outweighs the price.  This serial novel series, for example, is in 8 parts, each currently selling for $1.99 apiece.  That means that, in the end, you're paying almost $16 for a novel that, if it was all sold together, you might only pay $8 or $9 for.  Most of the time, if I see an author I like doing a serial, I'll say thanks, but no thanks.  But I love Roni Loren and, while I told myself I wouldn't do it, I found myself buying Part I on release day.  And once you buy Part I, well, you just have to get them all.

Now that I've gotten all of my complaining out of the way, I'll say this: This is a freakin' great book.  The characters practically jumped right off the page and the chemistry between Cela and Foster?  Whoa baby!  I like my books a bit on the kinky side and this gave me everything I needed (and more!)  What's more is that there's also an actual romance going on.  As a reader, we can definitely feel the pull these two have towards each other and, at the same time, the hesitance to turn it into something more.  Neither Cela nor Foster are without their problems and, yes, I'll admit it, I was even shedding a tear or two towards the end.

So, now, the question is was it worth it?  Was it worth shelling out the extra money and reading the book piece by piece?  As much as a loved the book, I'm leaning a little towards no.  It's more than the price that ended up bothering me.  Even though I rushed to my Kindle every Tuesday morning to devour the next part, I had a problem remembering what had happened previously.  We only got 60-75 pages each week and then we had to wait a week for more.  In the time between one part and the next, I'm reading so many other things that by the time I get to the next part, I'm not remembering clearly what had happened prior.  The solution to that, of course, is simple: wait until all the parts are out and then read them all at once.  Next time, I'll just have to find the patience.  Somehow, I don't see that happening.


Rating: 4/5


Purchase: One Two Three Four Five Six Seven Eight

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I loved the book, the main characters were GREAT and so vivid and filled with loads of drama, which we all know I love. The e-serial thing however is not exactly my cup of tea. Let's be real, I'm not a person with a great memory and at times I was really struggling to distinguish between what I'd read during the week and Not Until You. It took a few pages for me to get back into it and not be confused.

    Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete